"Pandemic Is Bigger Than We Are": US Funeral Worker On Coping With Deaths - News Tags

Latest

Thursday, July 23, 2020

"Pandemic Is Bigger Than We Are": US Funeral Worker On Coping With Deaths

news

For a young Florida funeral assistant, his social life has been dead: His main human interactions are with coronavirus victims who died at his workplace.
But he doesn't regret his isolation.

The pandemic is "bigger than us," said Bradley Georges, 26, an assistant at the Van Orsdel Funeral Home in Miami.

"Mentally it is difficult, trust me. But as for not seeing family and friends at the moment, I understand," he told AFP.

Florida, with a population of around 21 million, has recorded more than 5,000 COVID-19 deaths.

Currently around 10,000 new cases are reported a day, a quarter of them in Miami, according to official figures.

Florida, along with Texas and Arizona, have become new epicenters of viruses in the United States.

Georges' constant exposure to the virus means that he has not been near his mother for five months.

Instead, he moved into a kind of utility room at the back of the house that he shares with his brother.

Georges has even stopped meeting all his acquaintances in person, saying it is to keep them safe.

"It is my duty to serve my community and do what I love to do despite not being able to see my own family and friends," he said.

"It is not about me. This pandemic is bigger than me, bigger than us."

From NDTV News


news

No comments:

Popular Posts

https://draft.blogger.com/u/1/blog/themes/edit/7199067120201458512