Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Admonishes Republican Lawmaker Over Sexist Slur - News Tags

Latest

Friday, July 24, 2020

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Admonishes Republican Lawmaker Over Sexist Slur

NEW3S

Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a rising star of the Democratic Party, warned a Republican congressman Thursday that he allegedly threw a sexist insult at her on the steps of the United States Capitol.

Ocasio-Cortez, 30, a progressive New York lawmaker popularly known as "AOC," said Florida Rep. Ted Yoho had "put his finger on my face."

"It called me disgusting, it called me crazy, it got me out of my mind," Ocasio-Cortez said during a nearly 10-minute speech on the floor of the House of Representatives.

"In front of the journalists, Representative Yoho called me, and I quote, a 'fucking bitch,'" he said.

Ocasio-Cortez, the youngest member of Congress, said he was not seeking an apology from Yoho, 65, but that his behavior was symptomatic of a broader problem of attitudes toward women.

"What we are seeing is that incidents like these are happening in a pattern," he said. "This is a pattern of attitude towards women and the dehumanization of others."

"All of us have had to deal with this in some way," he continued. "I have waited for tables in restaurants. I have thrown out men from bars who have used a language like Mr. Yoho's."

From NDTV News


NEWS

No comments:

Popular Posts

https://draft.blogger.com/u/1/blog/themes/edit/7199067120201458512